From: mohanlal panda <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 5:10 PM
Subject: Give just compensation to the victims of Mehrauli blast
Greetings from PVCHR.
Please refer to the news report in The Times of India, Date: 29.06.2011. Page: 6
3 yrs on, Mehrauli blast victims want relief
Families Demand Parity With Victims Of GK, Karol Bagh & Barakhamba Blasts
Dwaipayan Ghosh TNN
New Delhi: The special cell of the Delhi police is yet to make any headway in finding the persons responsible for the minor explosion that occurred in the parking lot of the High Court and now victims of another blast, which occurred in the Mehrauli Sarai market in September 2008, claim they have been forgotten by the political and administrative system. Two-and-a-half years ago a blast at the Mehrauli Sarai market on September 27, 2008 killed three people and injured 22.
Ashok Randhawa, a social activist who brought the families together on Tuesday to protest against the "insensitivity of the state" said he had filed two RTIs (a copy of each is with TOI) to demand that the victims receive compensation from the state. The last communication Randhawa received from the Central scheme of assistance to victims of terrorist and communal violence was in September 27 last year. "The SDM has stated all efforts are being made. We want to know when Deepu (22), Santosh (11) who held the bomb in his hand before it exploded and Istiyak Ansari (22) will get justice," said Randhawa.
"The victims of Barakhamba, Greater Kailash and Karol Bagh have received compensation worth Rs 5 lakh each. Yet, we have received nothing. We donated the eyes and kidneys of my son Deepu who died in the blast and this is how he is being rewarded,'' says Bhagu Lal. Deepu had come to the city to pursue a higher education. Today, Bhagu works as a labourer to make ends meet.
Bom Bom, the brother of Santosh who died in the blast, is blind in one eye. "I drive a rickshaw all day to support my father who is already working extremely long hours. I have nine family members to feed. The government has spent so much money on the CWG so why can't they pay us our due?'' he asked.
"It has been nearly three years since the blast in which I lost three family members, yet no one has bothered to check up on us. Ishtiyak was 22 at the time and we still haven't received any compensation," said a family member. Rajkumar, whose son Santosh died in the blast, said that while terrorism is an issue in every election, very little action has been taken to tackle it effectively as there is a lack of political will. These families are yet to overcome the trauma of losing a loved one."In this country, there is a blast every few months. Many families are still waiting to receive compensation," said Balbir, who was present in the market that September day.
Sir, on behalf of PVCHR, I request you to look into the matter and take necessary action.
Dr. Mohanlal Panda
B-202, Neelachal Appt, Plot-3, Sector-4
Dwarka, New Delhi-110075
Main Office: SA 4/2 A, Daulatpur, Varanasi-221002