Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Investigate negligence of police and hospital officials

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: mohanlal panda <>
Date: Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 9:54 AM
Subject: Investigate negligence of police and hospital officials



The Chairperson


New Delhi.




Greetings from PVCHR.


Please refer to the link:


Morgue, cops in a shocking body muddle

Indrani BasuIndrani Basu, TNN | Jun 24, 2011, 04.11am IST, The Times  of India

 NEW DELHI: It can't get more shocking than this. The body of the only son of former army officer was first reported missing from the Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital. Later, it was found to have been handed over to a hit-and-run victim's family, who cremated the body and immersed the ashes. Again bringing to the fore the horrific negligence of the city's police and hospital authorities.

Surendra Tamang, 30, committed suicide on Tuesday night, following which his body was taken to the hospital for autopsy. On Thursday, his traumatised family waited at the mortuary of the
Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital for nearly seven hours to claim his body.

Initially they were told that the body could not be traced. The hospital authorities tried to locate Tamang's body since morning along with the assistant commissioner of police and the district magistrate, but the body was nowhere to be found.

"Finally around 3pm, it was realized that Tawang's body was handed over to an accident victim's family. The other victim's body was still lying in the morgue," said a senior police officer.

The ASI investigating the accident case has been suspended and an inquiry ordered into the incident. Deputy commissioner of police (east) Prabhakar said, "It is a serious issue and because of apparent prima facie negligence.
ASI Rishipal has been placed under suspension pending a fact-finding enquiry."

The grief-stricken family of Tamang had been told to come to the hospital at 9am to collect their son's body. "At 11 am, the investigating official told us the ACP had to sign on the paper. So it will take time. At 1 pm, we were again told the ACP had not yet arrived. At 2pm, we were told to go to the mortuary and the body would be handed over to us. Finally, at 3.40pm we were told the body has gone missing and we should talk to the hospital authorities. Then the hospital authorities told us that the police have lost the body," said a family member.

Preliminary enquiries revealed that Tamang's body was handed over to the family of an accident victim, Pankaj, 22, who died in a hit-and-run accident on Tuesday night. "The investigating officer and the family identified Tamang's body as that of Pankaj and it was handed over to the family. The last rites were conducted and the remains of the body immersed at Nigambodh Ghat on Wednesday. On Thursday, when Surendra's body could not be found anywhere, the search led to Pankaj's body," said a senior police officer.

Tamang's kin were first told the body was missing. Later, it was found it had been given to another victim's family.

Sir, on behalf of PVCHR, I request NHRC to look into the matter and take necessary action against the official responsible for the mess.



With regards,


Dr. Mohanlal Panda

Advisor, PVCHR

B-202, Neelachal Appt, Plot-3, Sector-4

Dwarka, New Delhi-110075

Mobile: :+91-9818499296

Main Office: SA 4/2 A, Daulatpur, Varanasi-221002


No comments:

Post a Comment